This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
How to : Install the new cores
Vampire boards can be updated to use the latest
Core improvements, such as :
- Bug fixes.
- New features.
- Speed improvements.
- Compatibility improvements.
Vampire core contains the following modules :
- M680x0 compatible and enhanced CPU.
- M68040 compatible and enhanced FPU.
Two different methods to update the core
Method #1 : Using .JIC binaries with Quartus II Programmer
This is the preferred method, because it is the only solution in case of broken system (
It requires :
Altera Quartus II Programmerinstalled.
.JIC binary filefor the dedicated Vampire.
- IMPORTANT: Quartus do NOT protect the Vampire against undedicated .JIC binaries.
Method #2 : Using Flashroms binaries
This the second method because :
- IMPORTANT :
FlashROMcan brick a weak card ! Prefer method #1 if possible
FlashROMtool runs directly from AmigaOS 3.x.
FlashROMtool is easy to use, totally configuration-free method.
FlashROMtool is protected against incorrect hardware target.
FlashROMtool read the current revision and allow/forbid flashing if wrong hardware.
- NEVER switch off the computer during a flash operation.
- NEVER flash undedicated cores on a Vampire board :
- Do NOT flash, for example, a core dedicated to
V600 V2on a
- DO NOT use your Operating-System during a flash operation.
- ALWAYS have a copy of the previous working core.
- Having copy will be useful in case of severe bugs in new release.
- BETTER to have a ready-to-use
USB-Blasterin case of serious issue.